Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:53:01 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>, Vitaly Markitantov <vm@dics.com.ua>, jhb@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smbfs broken?

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:15:09PM -0700, Terry Lambert
<tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > #14 0xc455a66e in ?? ()
> > #15 0xc455a072 in ?? ()
> > #16 0xc4559e87 in ?? ()
> > #17 0xc45609f8 in ?? ()
>
> If you are running the smbfs.ko, either load the module symbols into
> gdb before asking for the traceback, or statically compile SMBFS into
> the kernel.  We need the intermediate code.

Yes, sorry about that. I seem to remember similar procedures needed
for debugging the vinum kld.

> > #18 0xc035947d in vnode_pager_getpages (object=0x0, m=0x0, count=0, reqpage=0)
>
> ...though the fact that this happened agains the vn device on
> an SMBFS from a file write is pretty indicative that you are running
> a vnconfig'ed device on top of an SMBFS file.  This is probably not a
> good thing to do.

No, I'm not doing such thing, never even tried it.

> It would be nice if you could give us more information as to exactly
> what it is you are doing, logically, to cause this problem; as things
> sit, it seems you are doing some evil things.

No, I'm doing exactly what I describe. Usual boot to multiuser, then
kill all of the processes not strictly necessary (seti, fetchmail,
sendmail, you-name-it), mount the smb share -ro from NT4 server, cd
/some/mountpoint and cp thisfile.xls /tmp. That's it.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee