Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:01:52 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: leaking memory?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:35:09PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I cannot help, this may sound paranoid, but since I'm running i4bisppp
> someone is eating up swap space.
>
> More often than ever my 120MB swap are consumed.
>
> (a netscape 4.6, qvwm, 4 xterms).

All Netscape 4.x versions tend to eat more and more memory while active -
the often-used Netscape Navigator or Communicator (the Linux binary on
FreeBSD) at work grew up to 50 or 60 mbytes easily, especially if you
have stepped on some web-page with an expire header that is automatically
reloaded in a time interval (for example, with mrtg router statistics)
can cause it grow and grow until it explodes with a core dump... (I used
the Linux binary because of Linux plug-ins but made similar experiences
with native FreeBSD binaries before.) I recommend closing and opening
again Netscape Nav./Com. depending on your activity at least every two
or three days. Yes, and X servers enlarge themselves significant, too,
but not that much as Netscape does.

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,