Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:01:25 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        <bsd-sec@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd exploit

At 12:30 AM 11/30/2001, bsd-sec@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us wrote:

>Perhaps so.  However, at the univeristy department where I work, RH Linux lab
>machines running both 2.5.x and 2.9.x versions of OpenSSH were indeed
>compromised while running ssh version 1.  The only other services with
>externally available ports were portmap and syslogd.

Interesting. Any way we can do a postmortem analysis to determine whether
sshd was the weak link? While I wouldn't suggest that people panic, I
am concerned about intrusions even though all of my FreeBSD boxen are now
running 3.0.1p1. We have several people with SSHv1 clients who send and
receive e-mail from the road via port forwarding. We need to keep a secure
(at least as much as the protocol allows) SSHv1 server running. So, we're
doing VERBOSE logging and watching for suspicious activity.

--Brett Glass