Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:30:48 -0500
From:      Peter Lai <PeterL@resnet.uconn.edu>
To:        'Lane Holcombe ' <lanehol@bellsouth.net>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: There is no beginning or end with freeBSD ...

 Many PCI modems are so-called 'winmodems'. These are technically referred
to as HSP or Host-Signal-Processing modems. They require special drivers
which hook into the CPU to do the signal processing necesarry for modulation
and demodulation.  These drivers are written specifically for windows, and
many other OSes can not use them, hence the term "winmodem".
Many companies refuse to release specification data which results in the
situation that no one can write unix/linux drivers for them.

One thing to test if your modem is compatible with linux or FreeBSD is to
see if you can boot to PURE DOS mode (that is, hit F8 before "Starting
Windows 9x" appears. Use a terminal emulator like procomm or something. Try
to see if the software can dial out using DOS.

If it can, then FreeBSD should pick up a PCI Serial controller and then you
can check the bootup messages and select the correct serial port to use for
PPP.

If your modem doesn't work in DOS, you are SOL. Such is the nature of
"Windows Only" hardware...

I have no idea of how USB modems work, I don't own one and have never used
one.