Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:36:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd-org.FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI HDD problems

Dear Sirs.

On one machine I changed today an Adaptec 2940UW with Adaptec 2949U2W.
Both controllers worked with FreeBSD in the same server long time before,
but with several different harddrivedisks. Last week we changed a machine's
drives and I got a spare IBM DDRS 39130D 8,5 GB LVD disk. This disk is now
attached to the Adaptec 2940U2W controller.

The box is a FreeBSD 4.3-RC2 SMP box.

The kernel starts the normal way, but when initializing the SCSI bus
there occurs an error, a lot of errors about 'untagged' statements
and several 'SCB 3 3 4 ...' statements occur. I can not dump this, it's
to fast on the screen. End of this procedure is a reboot of the kernel.
I tried a GNERERIC kernel and tried to start a single user mode session
because I think there is a problem with the tagged queuing command cache
of the disks 9I would like to disable it, but it seems to be impossible).

On the other hand, maybe the controller is damaged but it worked before
well with other LVD disks (IBM DNES ...).

Is there a trick to start the SCSI system without enabling tagged queuing
command caches ?

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)