Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:43:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base-6.1: Are Linux threads supported?

> Linux kernel threads are not native kernel threads.  They are not part
> of the standard distribution, they have an incompatible license, and do
> not scale very well on most Java applications.  However, for *certain*
> applications they do work, but these are limited to mostly CPU-bound
> applications that do light I/O.  Applications that have lots of I/O
> threads will not work well with the Linux-threads stuff.  (While
> applications run with the green-threads version tends to work *very*
> well, almost as well as C code.)

A friend of mine at Berkeley did some benchmarking of some native
threads vs. green threads jave code on Linux and found that the native
threads implementation at times ran 100x more slowly. At least on Linux,
kernel threads are very heavy weight. This is, at least in part due to
the way they handle scheduling and synchronization.

					-Kip