Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/39449: wierd ata status

The following reply was made to PR kern/39449; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To: "Jin Guojun[DSD]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:05:01 -0700

 On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:24:54PM -0700, Jin Guojun[DSD] wrote:
 > "Crist J. Clark" wrote:
 > >
 > > On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:28:21PM -0700, Jin Guojun wrote:
 > > [snip]
 > >
 > > > cat /sys/i386/config/USER_CONFIG
 > > > # ATA and ATAPI devices
 > > > device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
 > > > #device         ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
 > >                              ^^^
 > > This is for an ISA device.
 > >
 > > > device          ata
 > >
 > > This enables the PCI probe for ata(4) devices.
 > >
 > > > device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
 > > > device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
 > > > device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
 > > > device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
 > > > options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
 >
 > Above configuration has been used in 4.5, and ata1 can be disabled
 > under 4.5-RELEASE. Do you mean that 4.5-RELEASE was incorrect?

 I don't want to say that I don't believe you, but I don't believe
 you. I've used a bare,

   device	ata

 And no 'ata0 at isa? ...' lines on systems with PCI ATA controllers
 for several releases now, and they've been detected fine.

 See Soren's response which basically says the same thing.