Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 23:56:48 +0400
From:      "UkrBannerNet Agent" <savajob@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Question.

Some days ago I installed FreeBSD 4.2 on my PC, but everytime I was trying to run one of utilites from /usr/ports/ the answer ":Permision denied" was given. I don't know how to solve this problem. I tried to change user to root, but the result was the same. One of my friends said me the following:
The Deafalt ports mechanism searches for the tarball in the following folder :/usr/ports/distfiles, but you can't add anything there, for it is a link for your cd-rom(it is not allowed to write to cd-rom) that's why when you trying to launch any of ports you receive that kind of request. It is possible to change the tarball folder:DISTDIR=/where/you/put/it make install.
That is what my friend said, but he doesn't know what to do if the port was already installed, but the proble still stays. As I am new to unix, I ask you to describe the solution.