Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 15:57:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Letting normal users halt the system

Well, I wonder about the following thing:

Normally, only root can halt and reboot a machine using commands like
shutdown, halt and reboot. This is surely clever. But what can be done if
I explictly want normal users be able to reboot/halt the system? One
possibility that comes to my mind is to compile the kernel so that
CTRL+ALT+DEL is interpreted as system-reboot ( I generally
disable this, but if it's turned on, users could press these keys and
after the system is halted and the reboot-process starts they could turn
it of). Now I'm wondering if there's some place in which I can set the
system up so that also the halt, reboot and shutdown commands work for
normal users. While this surely shouldn't be done on a server in which
many people log in ( that shouldn't be rebootable / haltable by
everyone), it would be good if it worked on one of my computers which is
normally being turned on and off by users as needed.

See ya,
Nils