Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:07:07 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel include file cleanup take #3.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Mark Murray wrote:

> The aim of this patch is to
>
> 1) Reduce the number of "#include <sys/mutex.h>" and "#include
> <sys/lock.h>" in other include files.
>
> 2) Reduce the dependancy of .c files on lockmgr by making lockmgr
> a subinclude of sys/lock.h (lockmgr is deprecated and is being
> removed slowly).
>
> Please review.
>
> Thanks!
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~markm/patches/sys.SYS_MUTEX.diff.1

I'm almost (:-) happy with this version.  The includes of <sys/mutex.h>
in <sys/buf.h> and <net/if_var.h> are too hard to move without moving
the inline functions.

<sys/lockmgr.h> was already a subinclude of <sys/lock.h>, and
_SYS_LOCKMGR_H_ is still misspelled (was missing SYS_ and MGR, now
missing SYS_ ...).  You actually made <sys/lockmgr.h> a subinclude of
other headers that need it, and one that doesn't (<sys/conf.h> doesn't
need it directly, but it includes <sys/eventhandler.h> which does).
<sys/lock.h> doesn't need it any more (but *.c might depend on it
being there).  Some of the includes of it are commented on too
verbosely.

Some of the new includes seem to be a bit more disordered than necessary.
When inserting in unsorted include lists, I normally insert just before
the first order reversal (not counting param.h or systm.h).

Please change the copyright owner to yourself.  FreeBSD, Inc. still
doesn't exist in a form suitable for holding copyrights.

I'm not sure if the names for the new types headers are right.  Perhaps
they should have a leading underscore to inhibit direct inclusion, or
not have the "_types" suffix, to make them less verbose and not hint
that they are limited to types.

Bruce