Date:      05 Dec 1996 10:11:29 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   User PPP FAQ

Enough people have said this is needed. I agree. I've had more than
enough exchanges answering questions on iijppp configuration.

I hereby volunteer to coordinate a (re)write of a FAQ for setting up
user PPP (i.e. iijppp) under FreeBSD. If no one has any objections,
that is.

(Hey, if Nick Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>, who contributed the
handbook entry, wants the job, he can have it. Just speak up).

Personally I've found the handbook too brief and in some places
misleading or wrong when applied to user level ppp. (I can't speak for
kernel ppp).

So, I ask all interested iijppp users to email me:

- Any special things you had to do to get iijppp running properly for you

- Any problems you've had getting either direct or -auto dialing to
  work

- Any questions you have/had about setting up user ppp

- Anything else that might be appropriate

I'm looking for submissions not only from experience ppp-ers, but also
those of you just starting to set up ppp

I think the FAQ should provide info for two separate classes of uses:
one, where ppp is the only tcpip interface used, and the other when
ppp is used in conjunction with lan interfaces. My feeling is that
there a different/additional issues that crop up when using ppp
concurrently with e.g. an ethernet to e.g provide 'net access for a
lan without official IP addresses.

[My point here is that the FAQ should have a separate section for
these issues, not that it shouldn't cover them]

Any suggestions (like, it's already done, see http://xxx.xxx.xxx) are
more than welcome.

-jay