Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:37:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Damian Boune <DBoune@co.napa.ca.us>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LKM's (Kernel Options)

On Monday,  8 March 1999 at 10:29:15 -0800, Boune, Damian wrote:

> 	What exactly are LKM's?

They were Loadable Kernel Modules.  They are obsolete as of FreeBSD
3.1, though they are still supported.  They have been replaced by klds
(Kernel Loadable Modules), which are much the same thing.

> 	The concept I have currently is that they are an extension of the
> Kernel that can be loaded as needed.

Correct.  In many cases they can be unloaded as well.

> Hence the option "ATAPI_STATIC" would prevent ATAPI support from
> only being loaded when needed? Screen savers are LKM's because it
> would be silly to build them into the kernel as they would bloat it
> beyond acceptable levels, yet they need some sort of direct kernel
> integration?

Well, klds in fact use fractionally more memory than statically
configured modules, so that's not an argument.  What it does mean is
that you can take a minimal kernel and add features without building a
new kernel or even rebooting.

> Is my concept correct? Why are the screensavers included with
> FreeBSD LKM's?

Probably because the person who wrote them preferred them that way.  I
certainly do: I strongly recommend that Vinum be uses as a kld.

Greg