Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:58:11 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>, John Smith <freebsd@addict.com>
Subject:   Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

> Colin Percival wrote:
> > John Smith wrote:
> >> Support for FreeBSD 4.11 is going to end sometime in late January.
> >> Originally, FreeBSD 6.2 was supposed to be released back in October.  This
> >> would have given everyone about 3 months to stress test everything and
> >> migrate all their boxes from 4.11 direct to 6.2.
> >
> > You've had three months to stress test 6.2-BETA1, 6.2-BETA2, 6.2-BETA3, and
> > 6.2-RC1.  We release these for a reason, you know.
> >
> >> Now it is near the end of
> >> December, and FreeBSD 6.2 RC2 has yet to be seen anywhere.  Chances are that
> >> FreeBSD 6.2 Release will come out earliest mid-January.  This does not give
> >> much time for people to migrate to the newest FreeBSD release.  I think it
> >> would be fair if support is extended for a few more months especially since
> >> 6.2 is so late in coming.
> >
> > Your opinion has been noted.
> >
> > Colin Percival
>
> I have to second the OP's opinion. :-)
> I think it is important to be able to stress test the *final* release
> before installing on production machines. There is little use in stress
> testing BETAs and then install a broken RELEASE.
> This happened with 6.1-RELEASE where the nfs server was suddenly
> unusable on amd64.

There is something about these "please continue to support 4.x"
discussions that confuses me.

The general argument has been that 4.11 support should continue because
6.2 is not at release status yet.

Are the people making this argument unaware that 6.1 and 5.5 have been
at release status for quite some time, and thus have been providing
ample opportunity to upgrade for some time now?  Or has this topic
simply degraded to Troll bait?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.