Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 15:17:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minor for sdXY naming convention ? (mknod,scsi)

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Charles Henrich wrote:

> Im attempting to do mknod's for a bunch of wired disks, named as such:
>
> sdCD    where C= Controller and D=Disk, so dev names that would look like so:

Use ./MAKDEV sd20

>                 /dev/sd00s0
>                 /dev/sd01s0a
>                 /dev/sd02s0a

These won't work.  It'd drive programs nuts.  What's different between
sd0 and sd00 to a program that looks at the device numbers as integers?

:-/

> However I have as of yet been unable to decipher the esoteric notation for the
> minor number for said devices..  Anyone care to assist?  Please? :)

How hard is it to post a little piece of paper next to the machine with
the disk->controller:id mappings?

They're on the 'dmesg' and system log too:

(ncr0:3:0): "PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-4XCE 1.00" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(ncr0:3:0): CD-ROM
cd0 - device/driver

(ncr0 - controller/device

:3 - SCSI ID

:0) - LUN

: FAST SCSI-2 175ns (6 Mb/sec) offset 8. - device description &
information.