Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:29:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gurudatt Shenoy <gurudatt@cs.tamu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Packet Delay calculation

I'm trying to see how much delay a packet typically suffers in the FreeBSD
tcp/ip stack. This is what I thought of doing: trace the path of data
flow from the place a socket write call is made to the place where the
data is actually passed on to the network interface; place calls to
microtime() at these locations and see the time difference between them.

Could anyone point out potential problems with this approach? Any
better alternatives?  I'm rather new to this kind of thing and would
appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Guru