Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:49:16 -0700
From:      "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf@geoapps.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Backup

On 8 Oct 99, at 9:04, Jeremy Campbell wrote:

> I have a single FreeBSD machine, and a NT machine.  The NT machine has a
> DLT tape drive.  I would like to use it to backup my FreeBSD machine.  Is
> there any way to do this and have the backup retain the permission
> information of the files/directories?  I could make a Samba share of "/"
> and back it up over that, but if I needed to restore the files, would they
> have the same permissions as they had whenever I backed them up? What is
> normal procedure in a situation such as this?

Saw this in a Veritas newsletter last week.  No personal experience.
Perhaps you could get the Linux client to run ...

--------- Included Stuff Starts ----------------
5. Backup Exec for Windows NT(tm) v.7.3. Bld. 2570
NOTE: Backup Exec for Windows NT v7.3 will only accept v7.2 or v7.3
serial numbers. If you currently have v7.0 or 7.01, please contact
VERITAS Sales about upgrade information at 800-327-2232.

New and enhanced functionality and features include:
* New LINUX/UNIX agent with support for the following flavors:

Unix Platform (x86) Version
SCO UNIXWare 1.0, 1.1, 2.x
SCO 3.x, 4.0, Open Server 5.0
Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
Interactive 3.x
SunOS 5.3, 5.4

LINUX Red Hat 5.2, 5.21, 6.0
LINUX S.u.S.E 6.02
LINUX Caldera 1.3, 2.2
LINUX Mandrake 6.0
--------- Included Stuff Ends ----------------

Webpage may be findable from :
http://www.veritas.com

Angus Scott-Fleming      GeoApplications, Tucson, Arizona
angussf@geoapps.com   1-520-323-9170 / fax 1-520-327-7752