Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:08:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        "Liotta, Bob" <bLiotta@USCO.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Memory Fault - Core Dump

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Liotta, Bob wrote:

> I am running msql as a database engine.  When a run a gigantic query or
> the backup utility, I fail with a memory fault - core dump.  It seems
> that each time the core dump is just over 64mb of data.  Being the way
> the database operates, this would be possible.  Is there a kernel
> parameter that addresses how much memory a process is allowed to have?

The resource limits are set in `/etc/login.conf'. As far as I know there's
no kernel parameter beside that. You can check your soft limits by `ulimit
-a' (sh, bash, ksh) or `limit' (csh, tcsh) and the hard limits by `ulimit
-Ha' or `limit -h'. Every user can raise the soft limits using the
commands given above as long as they don't exceed the hard limits; the
superuser can do anything. If your data limit is 64M and your application
doesn't check well enough whether required memory is really allocated by
the OS it may of course crash.

Regards
Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de