Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 02:55:15 -0800
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@quick.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM Debugging: Problem with GDB and Shared Libs

In message <199803090358.OAA29401@gate.quick.com.au>, "Simon J.
Gerraty" writes:

    I've been doing a bit of this recently (on NetBSD which I'll
    assume is close enough), so this should point you in the right
    direction.

Thanks! Here's your advice in a nutshell:

    (gdb) b main                ...
    (gdb) r t                   ...
    (gdb) b java_main           ...
    (gdb) c                     ...
    (gdb) b sysAddDLSegment     ...
    (gdb) c                     ...
    (gdb) finish                ...

    Now libawt.so is loaded into the VM...

    (gdb) b awt_util_reshape    ...

    and there you have it.

This was extremely useful. I was able to load all kinds of library
symbols after getting to the breakpoint of sysAddDLSegment. With what
you and Damon Permezel told me, I'm doing fine. I also "set verbose 1"
and was able to watch symbols being loaded as I went along.

It's interesting to see that AWT has timing problems under the
debugger. And SwingSet seems just impossible to debug because it's too
slow (or gets stuck in some kind of loop).

Thanks,

Steve