Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 95 11:37:49 +0200
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leak somewhere?

>> suggests perhaps there is a problem with something somewhere in FreeBSD. This
>> behaviour seems to be new with the 0412-SNAP, although I dont have any
>> proof of this.  This is crazy, I have a 32mb machine, and its performing like
>> a dog because of this sort of memory usage (!) :(.  On a 16mb machine, if you
>> run any significant apps you go to swaphell because of the memory usage here.
>> Could this be a leak in the kernel malloc, or mmap code or some such?

> Relink the server with either -lgnumalloc or -ldlmalloc (found in
> ports/devel/libdlmalloc). The libc's malloc take as much as two times the
> memory needed per allocation.

That may reduce memory loss, but doesn't really solve the problem.
Unused memory needs to be actually released. I've often seen
XFree servers with VSZ > 25000 kB. My XFree_S3 server at home
uses to grow about 3-4 MB/h under normal circumstances, sometimes
(in particular in interaction with xman) much more. Even 2 MB/h
is too much. I'm afraid there is a longer debugging session required :-(

	Lars