Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:59:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> VESA syscons, either using libvgl and an array of crude widgets or
> something like MGR and its widget set, has long been on the wish-list
> but I didn't even include it in my summary since it's still very much
> a pipe-dream. :-)

Hmm, this has been a fantasy of mine, as well.  I was hoping to assist
with the syscons code enough so that we could get a simple primative API
down for drawing graphics on the screen, but my job seems to be taking up
any time I'd have to do that now, hopefully that will change :P

However, the syscons cleanup is proceeding anyway from what I've seen on
the list.

As long as we have basic graphics drawing, we'd be able to impliment our
own widgets, if need be.  I don't know how big the requirements for libvgl
are, or how much spare space on that second floppy we have, though.

> There's actually one mode you forgot, which is
> what I call "text mode", and that's straight ascii prompts, no CUI-style
> dialog boxes or anything.  Think about text-to-speach devices for
> the blind or serial consoles attached to really *dumb* terminals. :-)

This is a cool idea, also good for script based installs where you want it
to go fast and dirty.

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -