Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 13:39:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jolitz book cancelled?

On Friday,  3 July 1998 at 20:57:56 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>>> Yes, it was a port of 4.3BSD Net/2 to the 80386 (called
>>> 386BSD).
>>
>> Sure.  This is the ancestor of FreeBSD.  FreeBSD (and NetBSD) grew out
>> of personality conflicts with Bill Jolitz.
>
>    I'd say that is stretching the truth just a bit too much.

Well, I did say that I wasn't the best person to ask, but I think
you're misinterpreting my statement.

> You might be able to argue that being the case with NetBSD (cgd's
> arguments with Bill being well known and public), but "personality"
> conflicts with Bill were certainly not what FreeBSD grew out of. In
> fact, we gave Bill every last chance to lead and he chose not to,
> but we certainly didn't form in spite of him or due to any argument
> with him.

My understanding was that you gave him every chance to fix bugs and
improve the product, including supplying the bug fixes, but he chose
not to.  As a result, and somewhat reluctantly if I recall, you
decided that the only way to get past the patch kit was to start up
your own distribution.  How am I doing?

Greg