Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:24:14 -0600
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tcpd & xinetd in 4.0

I searched the mailing list archives for anything recent on this, not much
to read there, so I thought I'd try posting my own.

With the late 3.x releases and the 4.0 (etc) release, inetd is built with
tcp-wrappers support. I decided against using inetd and going with xinetd
(I like it better) and compiling tcpd from /usr/src/contrib/tcp_wrappers
and moved the bin to /usr/libexec

Anyways, it's "working" as it were, but there's a issue I haven't been
able to resolve yet, hosts.allow works but I get this error (couldn't find
reference to it) with calling twist from a particular rule. Don't know
about spawn (such as fingerd uses) as I don't use finger. xinetd was
compiled from the ports (xinetd-2.1.8.8p2) with libwrap support:

Apr  3 19:58:38 area51 xinetd[22326]: error: /etc/hosts.allow, line
68: twist option in resident process

line 68 reads:
: twist /bin/echo "You are not welcome to use %d from %h."

my /etc/hosts.allow is a stock /usr/src/etc/hosts.allow

I realize how feeble this sounds, but I don't understand the error
message (and thus don't know where to begin to fix it) otherwise they work
fine together. Anyone else encounter this or enlighten me as to what it's
complaining about so I can go make it happy?