Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 18:18:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, James D. Butt wrote:

> This is the OS developer they should be able to make their servers not
> crash if they expect customers to do it.

J.D. you're obviously not a man with the M$ mind set. :)  This is
the `re' company we're talking about.  Reboot.  Reinstall.

Surely you've taught most of your Win* dialup customers to reboot
before calling you for tech support when things don't work.  Why
just the other day a customer was kind enough to call and scream
at us insisting that our web and ftp servers were down.  Our tech
support dude finally talked him into rebooting and, being the
strong juju W95 is, lo an behold it fixed our servers.  :)

Reinstall is one of M$'s stock answers on their alleged support
lines.

No, the developers can't keep their servers running in a
controlled, or any other, environment.  An OS based on bubble gum
and duct tape never will be stable.  The best they can do is to
sell you a dozen licenses to use on twelve different boxes and
then come up with a bandaid that will figure out which one or two
of them are up at any given moment.  The spin doctors then go out
touting the wonders of the bandaid and those lemmings looking at
the world through M$ colored glasses (i.e. everything constantly
falling over) see this magical bandaid as their salvation.  They
never realize that they wouldn't need to buy the cure if they
hadn't bought the disease in the first place.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null