Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:13:49 -0500
From:      <root@twwells.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC Read Errors

I'm getting a related set of problems. I have an Amptron
motherboard with a LinkSys NC100 NIC. Another machine backs the
Amptron up by doing ssh dump. This often generates TX underruns
for the NIC and the disk read error.

However, if I boot the machine up, and directly start this backup,
the Amptron hangs consistently, with no error messages. All
processes appear to stop and the keyboard is mostly dead --
pressing a function key to switch virtual consoles makes the
cursor disappear; pressing a key to switch to an unused virtual
console causes an indefinite beep; no other key has any effect.
But, sometimes I've seen different behavior than that, e.g.,
during earlier testing, I was doing the backup after being up
longer and while I was doing other things; then I'd see short
system freezes (up to a minutish). In some cases, I was able to
switch virtual consoles a few times before the total freeze.

Setting hw.atamodes=pio,pio, makes everything work. Also, if I
replace the NIC with a random ISA part, the problem goes away.