Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:24:20 +0100
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portsnap mirror servers

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 14:40 +0200, Benjamin Lutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 00:44, Colin Percival wrote:
> > I have a list of people who have offered mirrors, but so far I haven't
> > seen any need for additional mirrors -- the two which already exist are
> > showing no signs of slowing down.
>
> Hm, but I see a quite noticeable speed difference between portsnap1 and
> portsnap2. The second one is quite a bit faster.

I notice that on 4.x portsnap never finds any mirrors because the grep
of the output returned by "host -t srv ..." is not appropriate for 4.x's
version of /usr/bin/host, which produces output different to that of 5.x
onwards (a BIND8 vs BIND9 issue, I guess).  So, maybe because of this,
all of the portsnaps running on 4.x machines are hitting the same server
each time instead of randomly choosing a mirror, thereby causing that
mirror to be a bit more loaded?

Cheers,

Paul.
--