Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:36:12 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent IO performance

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:32:05PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:01:09AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > For some time I have seen very odd issues with IO performance on
> > 8-Stable. Going back to November of last year when 8.0 was released, I
> > see variations of up to 22% in identical operations. This is not a
> > degradation as the performance moves up and down.
> >
> > This is a very simplistic case. I have two identical disks (Fujitsu 80G)
> > on a ThinkPad T43 with a 2 GHz CPU and 2G RAM. I run the command:
> > dd bs=516096 if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2
>
> Why are you using this peculiar block size?
>
> > Note the dramatic differences even on the same kernel. For the December
> > 6 kernel, for example, I see a maximum of 23,676,086 and a minimum of
> > just 18,304,565. ????
>
> Both figures seem quite low to me? I cannot exactly reproduce your test,
> because I don't have an empty second disk handy, but doing
>
>     dd if=/dev/zero bs=1m count=100 of=/tmp/foo

  With a total write size of 100MB, aren't you just testing speed of
writing into cache RAM this way?  I think you need to write amounts
dramatically greater than the total size of the RAM to get values which
appropriately measure disk speed.

> yields the following writing speed on 8.1-RELEASE amd64,
> WDC WD5001ABYS SATA harddisk @ 7200 rpm.:
>
> 1) 87263174 bytes/sec
> 2) 87878728 bytes/sec
> 3) 86397125 bytes/sec
> 4) 86550094 bytes/sec
> 5) 86524741 bytes/sec

  This also supports that theory - off the top of my head, maximum
theoretical possible write throughput to a similarly sized 7200rpm
drive should be 70MB/s (buffer to disk data transfer rate according to
WDC's specs.) <http://wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-701277.pdf>;

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net