Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:27:34 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

> > ciss1: base transfer speed: 135.168MB/sec
>
> Hmm, that value is a bit funny, although I suppose for a RAID board it's
> kinda hard to know exactly what to put there.

Yeah; I cheated and just used the theoretical maximum slow/narrow PCI
throughput.  I'd really like to be able to report a "this value makes no
sense" figure, since there's no good way to compute a "base transfer
speed" for an array.

> > Apart from that: the ciss driver is fairly new AFAIK, I didn't find a lot
> > of references to it on the web. Would you recommend it for production use?
> > Is there any testing going for userland tools (status control a.s.o.)?
>
> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org> would be the one to ask.

It's in production at Yahoo!, although still a bit green.  There's
documentation available from Compaq that would let you write a basic
monitoring tool (I can help here), but no chance of Compaq's own tools
being released anytime soon.

If you were really masochistic, you could probably get all of Compaq's
monitoring goo for your machine running under Linux emulation, but I
suspect it'd be a job of work.

HTH,
Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not