Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 & freetype

 > It is already known that XFree86-4 installs incomplete version of
 > freetype2 which creates number of weird problems.

I already stated that XFree86-4 does no install an incomplete version
of freetype2. This is freetype2 which is broken. The ports using
freetype2 are broken too.

X11 has always used Imake to build programs and libraries. This is the
rule and all X11 software must use it. This is why freetype2 is
broken: it uses configure and libtool instead of Imake. Unfortunately
ports depending on freetype make the same mistake, leading to the need
of extra stuff like the config scripts. The right thing would be to
ask the porters to fix the build process.

Well, in the meantime we have to live with that but all problems can
be avoided:
- ports just requiring libfreetype.so (using -lfreetype in makefile):
  they need a LIBDEPEND=freetype.6:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2. If
  make detects an installed library in /usr/local or in /usr/X11R6 it
  will work with either one thanks to our loader lazyness. If X11 is
  not installed (or if it is XFree-3, or if XFreee-4 was installed w/o
  freetype support) print/freetype will be installed.
- ports requiring the freetype config script:
  they need another depend: BUILD_DEPENDS= freetype-config:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2.
  in this case the port will be installed and because of the script it
  will be explicitly linked with the print/freetype lib.

Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Zucconi -- PGP Key: finger jmz@FreeBSD.org [KeyID: 400B38E9]