Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:04:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Klaus Steden <klaus@compt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 3.3 -> 3.4 ?

Klaus Steden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the proper procedure for minor version upgrades? I've got a 3.3-STABLE
> machine that I would like to upgrade to 3.4-STABLE; last time I tried this, I
> royally screwed the machine up, and basically rebuilt it. I would like to
> avoid this, this time around.

The sequence to get into is cvsup, buildworld, config kernel, make
depend & install, reboot in single user mode, and installworld. Then
run mergemaster to upgrade your /etc files. There are a number of new
files in /etc. You have the defaults located in /etc/default and you
only add the lines that need to be changed. DON'T copy
/etc/default/rc.conf into /etc. You will get a loop at boot time. Be
careful of your choices with mergemaster because it will do what ever
you tell it to do.

You want to reboot before the install world because if you have
committed a massive fu-fu, you can still recover by booting to
/kernel.old.

Kent

> Can anyone offer any help?
>
> thanks,
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Steden                       |
> Unix Systems Administrator         |
> Command Post Toybox                | TODO:
> http://www.compt.com/              | 1) Learn to use my new Unix account.
> klaus@compt.com                    | 2) Learn how to change this list.
> Phone: (416) 585-9995 x345         |
> Fax: (416) 979-0428                |