Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:29:18 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Vlad Martynov <vlad@san.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stock ftpd

At 08:06 AM 11/30/2001 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>I can't even recall when an advisory was last published about the BSD
>ftpd.  Was there even one?

Even FreeBSD ftpd is not immune:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:33.ftpd-glob.v1.1.asc

Let's not start the usual, "USE MY FAVORITE FTPD, xxxxx" response.

Just like any any other public service, you should know the history of the
code you're using, as well as the multiple alternatives available should a
problem arise or you wish to take possible proactive action.

Be aware, have an IDS, and make backups. :-)

>Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
>Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
>Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
>Open Systems Group, ITSD
>Ministry of Management Services
>Province of BC