Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:38:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail/Dial-Up-Question

Hallo!
I have the following question:

I have one machine configugred with ppp -auto -nat, so that it establishes
a connection to the Internet whenever one of my other machines wants to
send packets to the Internet. The other machines are, of course, set up so
that their default route points to the ppp-machine.

So far, so good. Now, on the other machines I have sendmail running
(sendmail -bd), which also works fine BUT whenever I turn on one of these
machines, sendmail wants to look something up using the nameserver, and so
the boot-process hangs until the ppp-machine has established a connection
to the Internet.

This bothers me a little. I wonder if there's a way to prevent sendmail
from doing that, because I don't see a need for a ppp-connection being
established every time I start one of my computers, only for allowing
sendmail to do this one nslookup operation (I don't even know WHAT
sendmail looks up...)

So... does anybody have an idea what I can do so that sendmail starts
normally but does *not* establish / need a connection to the
Internet? While this behavior is not really a problem for me, I'm just
curious if I can do something against it...

Greetings,
Nils