Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:07:29 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using .hints file

I am in the process of upgrading my system from 3.2-RELEASE to STABLE,
and have cvsup'ed the source code. I decided to check out the
configuration files for making a custom kernel, and found some
differences from 3.2.

The perl script for creating a hints file from my old configuration
file was great, and its output gives me some idea of what's going on
here. I found the line in GENERIC where the hints file is referred to
and edited it to the correct name for my configuration. But when I
browsed through the perl script, it says I should use loader(8) if at
all possible.

My problem is I don't find anything in the man page for loader(8) that
suggests how to use a hints file with it. The web version of the
Handbook doesn't seem to have been updated since ver 3.2, and says
nothing I can find about hints. Where can I find out about this?