Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:29:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        MARCOS@eig.unige.ch
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QuickCam software port

(I've redirected this to -questions, since -ports is more about issues
related to the FreeBSD "ports" mechanism than issues with a piece
of software being ported)

> I've just bought a QuickCam and found some software for Linux made for it.
>
> Is there already a port of QuickCam dedicated softwares to FreeBSD ?

I can't answer this but I believe the answer is no; there is
some discussion of QuickCam requiring an NDA (non disclosure aggreement)
to release the programming info.

I found this connectix URL there in one of the articles:

http://www.pcworld.com/connectix/qcfaqw.html

> If not, I'm in the process of porting some utilities but I'm stopped by the
> Linux proprietary function "ioperm" which grants direct access for applications
> to I/O ports. What is the equivalent on FBSD ?

Once you open "/dev/io" you can access all I/O ports directly.  There
is no fine-grain mechanism.  The man page is missing everywhere except
the newest releases, however, it is straightforward - ensure
/dev/io exists, set the protection modes up appropriately for
your application, and open the device before trying to use the
inb/outb inline functions found in machine/cpufunc.h.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936