Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:55:49 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        'Jan Lentfer' <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
Cc:        jan@localhost.homeip.net, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: XFree86-4.2 on a PWS-500au

Hello again,

I am trying to get my newly installed XServer started, it seems as though
the XServer starts (thank you Mr. Lentfer for the font help), but it cannot
start KDE. The error I get from X is that it can't start kdeinit. Then X
quits and I see this on the console:

<snip>
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libfreetype.so.6" not found
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libfreetype.so.6" not found
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!

Waiting for X Server to shut down

<snip>

Ok, so I did a knee-jerk reaction to my 'libfreetype.so.6' problem. I did a
'make deinstall reinstall clean' for XFree86-4-Server. That did not fix
anything. That seems to be the fix for what I have found in google groups.

So, I did a search on my system and found libfreetype.so.6 in
/usr/X11R6/lib. Is this the proper location? I am getting close on this one,
I know it. I guess I could try copying my .xinitrc file to a .xinitrc.old
and see if twm loads or something.

TIA,

AJ