Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:56:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 8.2 + Ironlake revisted

I have a laptop with Xorg 7.5 and FreeBSD 8.2 both updated as of a few weeks
ago. The laptop has an Intel Ironlake card that Xorg 7.5 apparently recognizes
as such creating, what I assume is a correct, modline for it. However the
default install selects the vesa drive which will only support a screen
resolution of 1024x768. My question is: can a higher resolution be suported in
8.2? I assume there is a technical or implementation reason why vesa only does
1024x768 rather than configuring to the highest resolution the card supports.

Doug