Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:23:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP Vectra 5/90 hard disk boot disaster continues!

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 stanb@panix.com wrote:

> This is fast aproaching ridiculous!
>
> This bloody &$#@$$#!! machine just doesn't want to run FreeBSD.
>
> Found a CD (a second one BTW the machine would see, but not read the first
> one!) installed it, and created boot floppies from my 4.0 CD set.
>
> Booted off the CD's choose "Install Boot Manager", chose FreeBSD boot
> manager, and it STILL boots up to the "F1 FreeBSD" prompt, and will only
> rewatd me with angry beeps no matter what I do there.
>
> Several things are wort mentioning here.
>
> 1. This is one of 4 almost identical HP ectra's, the others are VL5/75's
> with an earlier BIS., they all work fine.
>
> 2. This machien boots fine from a hard disk wiht NT on it.
>
> 3. I normally use "Dangerouslt Dedicated", so I may be doing something
> stupid here.
>
> 4. The BISO on this machine has WAY TO MANY choices related to hard disk
> options for me to be certain I have them correct.
>
> 5. This is the begining of the third week of the fight to install FreebSD
> on this machine!
>
> HELP PLEAS!!!!

    1)  Look at the hard disk BIOS setup from the machines that work.
        Set the machine that doesn't work to the same settings as the
        machines that do work (there was some discussion on this list
        recently about "LARGE" vs. "LBA"-it's worth checking the
        archives).

    2)  Avoid dangerously dedicated mode.  It's often a bad idea,
        unless you're installing on an alpha.

    3)  If #1 and #2 fail, you might try flashing your BIOS back to
        the same rev. as the machines that do work.  Make sure your
        machine is plugged into a fully-charged UPS of sufficient size
        to keep it running 5-10 minutes when you do this (If the
        power goes out and the BIOS flash is interrupted, you have a
        nice paperweight instead of a computer.).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer