Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:13:43 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Jason <jason@borderpatrolclan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk full error???

> Jason wrote:
>
> When I try to send e-mail I get a disk full error. If I go to my
> server and do a df I get the following:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a     49583    48145    -2528   106%    /
> /dev/ad0s1e  38409661   500565 34836324     1%    /usr
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
> I don't know why /dev/ad0s1a is full and I have tried to find what
> might be taking up all of the space. I can't find anything. If I type
> du -x ad0s1a shows up as having 49583 blocks used, but I have no idea
> where these are. I relatively new to the UNIX like environment and I
> don't know what to do to solve this problem. Could someone please help
> me???

/var resides on root, along with all your print and mail queues, as well
as all the log files. For all that abuse, 48M is way too small.

- Boot single-user (shutdown now will do that, too)
- Clean up the usual suspects:
   /var/tmp may contain something. Nuke it.
   /var/log/ may contain some saved *.gz files. Nuke 'em.
- Move the /var/spool directory, the /var/tmp directory, and the /tmp
directory off to another disk:
   # cd / ; tar cf - <directory> | (cd /usr; tar xpf -)
   (working for a while)
   - Move the original directory to a safe place:
   # mv <directory> <directory>.old
   - Link to the new place
   # ln -s /usr/<directory> <directory>
   - Verify the symbolic link points to the new copy of <directory>
   # cd /<directory>; pwd
   - If you're absolutely sure the link succeeded, remove the old
directory
   # rm -rf /<directory>.old
   - Repeat for all three directories

This should give you some breathing space again. Next time, either creat
a decently sized root partition (I use 256M for boxes with log to root),
or put /var/spool, /var/tmp, and /tmp to another partition.

HTH
-Christoph Sold