Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:40:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jakob@ostenfeld.dk
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vinum boot support

On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at 23:39:08 +0200, jakob@ostenfeld.dk wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 12:29:24AM +0300, Iani Brankov wrote:
>> jakob@ostenfeld.dk wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I want to run RAID-1 on those disks, and I'm pretty sure I
>>> can do that with Vinum. However, it's not clear to me whether
>>> I can make the system boot on the logical RAID-1 volume.
>>>
>>> Is it possible ?   How ?
>>
>> I don't think so. There must be vinum support in your boot code to
>> load the kernel from a vinum volume. It's something impossible for
>> now.
>
> Darn...  But thanks for the answer   :)
>
> Being a FreeBSD newbie I'd like to ask:  How much of the system would
> be needed for booting up ?  That is, how much of the system do I _have_
> to keep on a non-volume  ?

We had a discussion about this recently.  I haven't tried it myself,
but one person is booting with only the following files:

  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
  /etc/rc.conf
  /etc/rc
  /etc/fstab
  /etc/gettytab
  /etc/login.conf
  /etc/ttys

> Obviously I'd like to have as much as possible on RAID-1.
>
>> You may use 'SOFTUPDATES' on your filesystems. Or better get 3rd disk
>> for the system you build.
>
> How does soft-updates affect the filesystem stability ?

Positively.  It makes it almost bomb-proof.  But check the licensing
conditions: it may be that you're not allowed to use it for the
purposes for which you want to use it.

> If the machine looses power before/during/after a fsync(), what are
> the consequences of using soft updates ?

Your file system metadata remains consistent.  Any time any system
stops unexpectedly, you can lose data.  Soft updates ensure that it's
only recent data, and that you don't get any structural breakage.

Greg