Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:47:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        avalon@advicom.net (Avalon Books)
Cc:        wam@sa.fedex.com, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

Avalon Books wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, William McVey wrote:
>
> > * The two references which seemed to have the most content were Bellcore's
> > site at http://www.bellcore.com/ISDN/ and the North American ISDN Users'
> > Forum at http://www.niuf.nist.gov/misc/niuf.html
>
>    Lucky for us in the U.S., we can use the existing PPP code for our
> TA's, or switch to routers (my personal favorite), making I4B needlessly
> redundant.

Passive ISDN cards are dirt cheap over here, no second device is needed
which consumes (more) power (than just a passive ISDN card in your box)
and ISDN is a bit more than just doing IP over it here, something which
is not possible at that extent with a TA or a router. And a passive ISDN
card is _much_ more flexible than a router or TA ever could be: its much
better suited to serve my play instinct ;-)

Hopefully - and the code is already there - i4b will run with the existing
PPP code, although i don't see the need: bonding two B-channels together
does not make much sense here.

> And as expected, your inquiry has drawn a less-than-
> enthusiastic response from our european counter-parts. I have no idea why
> they give Americans such a frosty reception when we express an interest in
> ISDN...

In case my resonse was frosty, i apologise it, it was not meant to be frosty.

On the other hand, from time to time someone from the US pops up, expresses
interest in ISDN, tells he is doing something, disappears silently and was
never heard again after some time; so what we are currently discussing, are
we - as the european counterparts - discussing the third, fourth or even
the fifth time.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...