Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:36:10 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Guy Silliman <gws@mgp.marygreen.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCCard: Help?

On 1999 Jun 17, Guy Silliman (aka gws@mgp.marygreen.com) wrote:
> Hello... I've run in to a brick wall configuring a Dell Inspiron
> FBSD 3.2 for pccard support.  Let me first say that I have reviewed
> the archives and attempted all suggested solutions to this issues,
> and have yet to see any improvements.
>
> The laptop uses the TI pcmcia card controller, and although it knows
> that there are 2 slots at boot time, the IRQ comes in as 255?!?...  I
> attempted setting that via the loader.conf file, but that never made a
> difference.
>
> Additionally, I have tried Kernel loaded pcic support, also the kld
> version... no difference, when pccardc attempts to talk to the cards,
> it errors with /dev/card0 not configured, and pccardd errors with
> no slots..
>
> I have a 3c589d, and a motorola mobilesurfer which I'd like to get
> working...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions how to get the basic card services going,
> I think I understand the remaining setup...

Guy-

I just completed setting up a Inspiron 3500 for dual boot FreeBSD
and Windoze98.  Which version of Inspiron are you trying to do this
on?  I can try and help with the 3500.

Have you looked at the compatibility site?
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html

The 255 is just the bootup stuff.  You will need to free up a
bunch of IRQs.  I recommend shutting off the onboard Com ports,
etc.