Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:53:00 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, "Corey C. Foegen" <cfoegen@angelfire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About free bsd

Lets not forget the all too famous www.cheapbytes.com.  Although some don't
like it...it does distribute a rather nice copy of FreeBSD for a whopping
$8 (rounded of course w/ s&h).  They also distribute lossa other things
there too.  :)

Jim

At 21:51 17-01-00 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
>"Corey C. Foegen" writes:
> > Dear Sir or Madam,
> > We hope you would answer some questions we may have about Free BSD. It
> > sounds like a great product and we would like some clarity.
>
>Its my guess you didn't know questions@freebsd.org address posted on the
>web site was actually a mailing list going to thousands of people. An
>Apple Computer employee got tripped by that one too.
>
> > We are presently running Windows 98 as well as other MS product
> > software. Being an operating system, would Free BSD replace Windows,
> > supplement or otherwise be found as a replacement for the DOS.
>
>FreeBSD is a Unix-like OS. DOS is not. While FreeBSD has some ability
>to emulate DOS and/or Windows, it is neither.
>
> > Another question would be how greatly improved will security be from
> > hackers (we were hit once before)? And if not,would you have any
> > recommendations for security and fire wall?
>
>As a general rule attacks which work against Windows do not work
>against FreeBSD because FreeBSD is not Windows and is not Windows
>compatible.
>
>We (the users of FreeBSD) believe it is more secure than Win9x, NT, or
>2000.
>
>The ultimate question is "what do you want to do with a computer?" In a
>reversal the past 5 or 10 years it is now cheaper (cash out of pocket)
>to run a Unix-like OS than anything else. You won't be running Microsoft
>Office any time soon under Linux (a not-as-good-as-FreeBSD alternative
>to FreeBSD) but the $100 Applixware package is awfully good. Maybe
>better than MS-Office simply because it doesn't have cupholders and
>fairings.
>
>If you want to play the latest games, then you have to stick with a
>game OS such as those Microsoft sells.
>
> > And the final question- if we decide to persue with Free BSD, could
> > you tell us the price for the CDROM (we have a Creative Labs 8X CDROM
> > drive) and to whom we can send a check as well as the time expected
> > time frame for delivery?
>
>http://www.cdrom.com/ has the answers. $39.95 for one, $24.95 if you
>"subscribe" to 3 or 4 sets per year. Plus $5 S/H. They take credit cards
>too. Plus you can download and use a copy for free. And make as many
>copies of that as you need. But keep in mind that its purchase of
>CDROM's, shirts, jackets, stickers, stuffed daemon plushies, etc., which
>pay for hosting FreeBSD on the 'net, for much of the development
>hardware, and for some of the salaries of those who work full time on
>FreeBSD.
>
>Somewhere among http://www.cdrom.com/ and http://www.freebsdmall.com/
>there is an order item for donations to FreeBSD Inc., a not-for-profit
>corporation: http://www.freebsdmall.com/donate/
>
>--
>David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"