Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:11:09 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        shih@math.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downgrade to 5.5

On 11/9/06, Albert Shih <shih@math.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>         I make buildworld & buildkernel on a FreeBSD 5.x server.
>         I make a tar.gz of /usr/obj and /usr/src
>         I tranfert this two tar.gz on my 6-stable server.
>         Untar on right place
>         make installkernel on /usr/src from 5.x
>         reboot
>         make installworld.

Usually when you upgrade from a old version to a newer version, you
are advised to first install new kernel, and then update the userland
with buildworld.

For a downgrade, you would have to reverse that order.  So to downgrade:

           make installworld
           mergemaster
           reboot
           make installkernel
           reboot

You will still need to remove any 6.x libraries that remain after the
downgrade, as it would cause problems when building ports on the
system.

NOTE: I haven't tested this procedure, so use at your own risk.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.