Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:44:03 +1000
From:      Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        <hardware@freebsd.org>, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

On 9/10/2002 6:20 PM, "Attila Nagy" <bra@fsn.hu> wrote:

> Hello,

[chomp]

> and
> sys/kern/kern_poll.c:
> [...]
> #ifdef SMP
> #include "opt_lint.h"
> #ifndef COMPILING_LINT
> #error DEVICE_POLLING is not compatible with SMP
> #endif
> #endif
> [...]
>
> (no SMP support)

This I can live with, as it appears having multiple CPUs does SFA anyway
when it comes to firewalling (at least with FreeBSD <5.0).  Certainly we
have no discernable improvement on our dual 1GHz P3s between a UMP and SMP
kernel.

> As stated above, I'm not an expert, but my opinion is that polling would
> be the best on the Gigabit cards (due to their capacity) and not the Fast
> Ethernet ones.
>
> Maybe we could start sending GE hardware to Luigi :)

I could probably swing a remote login to a machine with a NetGear GA620 (ti)
fibre card and an Intel (em) copper card (it's a Dell 1650) if it would help
speed development.