Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:22:58 -0600
From:      "Aron Silverton" <ajs@labs.mot.com>
To:        <freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CompactPCI PPC platforms

Hi all,

I'm curious to know what work it would take to run FreeBSD-PPC on a
CompactPCI system.  I'm guessing that one would need kernel support for
the PCI bridge chips used on the various host and peripheral boards and
support, if not already available, for the onboard disks and various
other peripheral interfaces which may use a particular chipset not
common on desktops or notebooks.  IPMI implementations are already
available for FreeBSD, so that could just be merged.

How far does the current FreeBSD-PPC implementation have to go until it
would be ready for this type of work?

How much, if any, of the NetBSD PPC implementation is being integrated
into the FreeBSD implementation?

I may have some PICMG 2.16 equipment including G4 equipped boards
available next year.  They would not be available for full-time
development, but if I can manage to get some additional disks for the
boards, I'm hoping to be able to swap them for the "production boards"
when I'm not using the chassis for my normal work.

Thanks,

Aron

--
Aron J. Silverton