Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 11:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

Chuck Robey writes:

> I want to try ppp (for my first time).  I understand that for non-kernel
> mode ppp, I have to use something called iijppp, but I can't find it.
> Could I please get a pointer on where to find it?

ppp, aka iijppp, is in /usr/sbin.

> If anyone's available just now for questions on getting this to work, I'd
> kind of appreciate it.  I don't know just how helpful the iijppp stuff
> is, but I've heard a lot of complaining about ppp here, so I suspect I'm
> in for some work.

Its pretty painless.  Unless you have a really bizarre modem or
dynamic addresses on both ends of the link or somesuch.

Here is the config I use.  The router on the other end is popeye.
I invoke ppp in rc.local with `ppp -auto popeye' and it keeps me
connected.  The addresses are static. Substitue whatever is
appropriate for your modem where I have ATS110=3S37=34.

default:
 set device /dev/cua02
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER ABORT NO\\sDIALTONE TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATS110=3S37=34 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

popeye:
 set phone 5551212
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: irbs word: some_password"
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 199.182.75.129 199.182.75.4 255.255.255.240
 add 0 255.255.255.240 199.182.75.4
 set debug phase chat
 disable lqr
 dial