Date:      09 Sep 1997 21:47:09 +0200
From:      Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ssigala@globalnet.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) writes:

>  *   The X11 ports should not be installed in /usr/X11R6 but in the

> This is easy to say, but too hard to implement.  As long as the X
> folks assume "one tree" in the Imake config files, there isn't a whole
> lot we can do abut it.

Well, actually there is. After compiling and installing the X11
distribution, you teach Imake to install future programs/libs/header
files/whatever in another tree; you teach Imake to look for include
files, libraries, whatever in the old tree too.

Then you setup the XFILESEARCHPATH environment variable in
/etc/profile et al to include the new X11-tree and the old default
value from the libraries (so that X apps find their resource files
whether they are located in the old or the new tree).

Voila - you have the distributed X11 tree intact, and your own
compilations go into the local/ tree.

I am doing this on a system I maintain (mixed SUN, HPUX, Alpha
machines); I am not shure that I have every situation covered, but
it's been quite a while since an Imakefile did not put things where I
wanted them. The thing is, now I know for sure that /usr/X11 or
wherever vendor likes to install his X11 distribution does not contain
any of my own compiled programs; nor any `fixed' app-defaults files
etc. Everything I change I change in a local shadow X11 tree. Makes
for smoother OS upgrades...

Jacob.

--
Jacob Lorensen; Mosebuen 33, 1.; DK-2820 Gentofte, Denmark; +45-31560401
PGP ID = E596F0B5; PGP Fingerprint = 1E8726467436DC4A 723B6678C5AD9E71