Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:20:07 +0100
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Doug Ambrisko" <ambrisko@whistle.com>, "Taku YAMAMOTO" <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        "Doug Ambrisko" <ambrisko@whistle.com>, <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AC97_MIXER_MONO (was Re: Anyone with i810 hardware?)

> | How about mapping SOUND_MIXER_PHONEOUT to AC97_MIX_MONO?
> | With having SOUND_MIXER_PHONEOUT initial value in
> | snd_mixerdefaults[] (/sys/dev/sound/pcm/mixer.c) will work.
>
> Actually I have done that, and should work however it would require
> application level support, for example "mixer" doesn't support
> modifying that parameter:

please see ac97.c rev 1.11.  support is added for all channels handled by
the codec. AC97_MIX_MONO is mapped to SOUND_MIXER_PHONEOUT, AC97_MIX_PHONE
to SOUND_MIXER_PHONEIN, anD AC97_MIX_PHONES to SOUND_MIXER_MONITOR.  'mixer'
does support all of these.

> It is something that I considered and may do however it requires
application
> changes.  Just mapping AC97_MIX_MONO to SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME then lets
> me adjust things via "mixer vol" and requires no application changes
> (but does require a small kernel change).
>
> Also the reason that I like the idea of using ac97mixtable_entry for
> everything is that it gives a clean consistant point of reference.
> I found in ac97.c that uses both the AC97_MIX_MASTER and
> ac97mixtable_entry[SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME].  It was a trivial change
> to switch AC97_MIX_MASTER to be ac97mixtable_entry[SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME].reg
> and then get rid of AC97_MIX_MASTER in the code.

drivers should only be using the functions listed in ac97.h to control the
codec, never writing directly to it.

    -cg