Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:11:53 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Larry Skarpness Jr." <larry@chainsoft.com>
Cc:        Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARP issues with 2 or more multi-homed interfaces on same physical LAN

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 08:25:25PM -0700, Larry Skarpness Jr. wrote:
> Janko,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  Allow me to clarify the situation.  The NICs
> have different IPs, different networks, and differenct ethernet addresses.
> They just happen to be connected to the same network hub.  Obviously this is
> a somewhat unusual configuration.  The OS detects this situation as it
> should, however it spews warning messages constantly when just one would be
> enough.
>
> Some might be asking why would you want to do this in the first
> place.

You bet.

> I am
> situtuated on a cable modem.  The ISP has supplied two completely different
> IPs and different networks through this one cable modem.  The ISP severly
> limits the upload bandwidth, even between IPs on networks within their
> control.  So I have also multi-homed these two machines to another private
> local network on which other machines exist.

Oh no.

> NAT is also being used on one
> of the public IPs to support other machines on the private network.  All of
> these machines and the cable modem are wired into the same network hub, as
> there is no reason to physically seperate them.

Yes there is.

>  Through this mechanism all
> the machines can reach eachother on the private net, and get out to the
> internet.
>
> Machine 1 has
>     NICA HUB1
>         IPA NETA (cable modem1) supports NAT to outside
>     NICB HUB1
>         IPB NETB (local1)
> Machine 2 has
>     NICC HUB1
>         IPC NETC (cable modem1)
>         IPD NETB
> Machine 3 has
>     NICD HUB1
>         IPE NETB
> Cable mdem 1 on HUB1
>
> I think this is a valid configuration.

A couple bad things. You are mostly likely leaking all of your
"private" traffic over your cable modem. If you are running a
firewall, no bother since it isn't protecting anything but the host it
is running on.

> Machine 1 complains that ARPs on
> NICA are picked up on NICB, which in this situation would be expected.  Is
> there some reason why the FreeBSD OS must be so noisy about it?  I WANT two
> or more NICs in the same machine on the same physical network.

Can I ask why? All it can do is hurt your local throughput.

> The hack I
> made to if_ether.c forces the OS quiet about it.  Others are in the same
> situation and would probably like this option without the neccessity to
> hack.

If you get this error, it's because you have multiple NICs from one
host connected to a collision domain. There is no reason to do
this, like I said, it hurts your network capacity. You are better off
with one NIC and putting multiple IPs on the one NIC.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com