Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:58:26 +0100
From:      "Marc Wandschneider" <marcw@lanfear.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   International Programming?

mooo!

    I am writing a non-trivial application, and one of the things that will
be very important for it will be to work in multiple locales -- not just
mainstream locales like english, french, german, etc ..., but others,
including russian (cyrillic), japanese (DBCS), etc ...

    Where might I find documentation on adding support for this to my
program.  Of course, I'd like for this to be as cross-platform as
possible -- my program currently runs under FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux.

    The application is already localized into many of these languages, but
i'm worried about things such as input locales, etc. ...  I'm also assuming
that the base strcmp, strcasecmp, and all those that ship in the OS do not
support DBCS, etc ...

    where would be a good place to start?

    thanks!

    marc.