Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:20:26 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: differences between SCSI and EIDE [was: wanna buy an EIDE harddisk ... 5400 or 7200 for home use (noise)]

On 2000-Jan-05 03:06:49 +1100, Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU> wrote:
>  My salesman says the
>HDAs are the same in SCSI and EIDE drives, so reliability-wise there
>should be no difference.

I would also assume that to be the case. A common HDA minimises the
development effort - only the controller PBA needs to be specially
designed (and in the case of SCSI, there are likey to be a number
of different controllers for the different SCSI interfaces).

>  I'd
>like to know of any significant down-sides to using EIDE other than the
>number of devices per controller.

By definition, the EIDE bus is electrically more fragile than a SCSI
bus.  The SCSI specs have always required that a SCSI bus be properly
terminated, use controlled-impedance cables and placed limits on the
lengths of stubs.  By default, SCSI uses single-ended logic levels
(roughly TTL, but I'm not sure that the voltage levels are exactly
TTL), but a differential version is also defined - which increases the
bus robustness at high speeds.  (People might not have compiled with
the SCSI specs in the past, but they are forced to when they crank
us the speeds - and the necessary cables and terminators are readily
available).

An EIDE "bus" is a random piece of ribbon cable with TTL logic levels,
no termination and (from memory) insufficient ground wires.  This was
not a problem at low speeds, but as the speeds get higher, the cable
looks more like an unterminated transmission line and the reflections
eat into the noise immunity.

Peter